Feature request / Bug report

Add option to make comment pane open automatically if there are comments

Commenting should be listed as one of the options under Document Properties > Initial View. I find that new many people have a hard time finding the comments, because the right hand pane is hidden and they don't know to click on that tiny little right-pointing arrow. Pleas add the option for the comment pane to be open automatically, just as we can already do with the bookmarks panel.

19 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kelly Vaughn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As an instructor, I am hearing this as a request from more and more people, plus it was discussed on the Tech Wednesday this week. People don't know there is a panel and go lamely searching for the icons, missing many. Adding the Comments panel to Initial View should be a JDI.

• Karen Ellrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is Acrobat "extensible"? In other words, is it possible for non-Adobe people to write add-ons/extensions/macros (whatever you might call them) that modify the behavior? If so, perhaps someone could write one for this.

• Carl Alexander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice if that grey "tiny little right-pointing arrow" was a more visible larger yellow side tab labeled "Comments" that could be clicked to open the right pane with comments selected.
        - Single clicking could open the pane to the previous width set during the program's current session.
        - Clicking and holding the tab, then dragging the tab leftward could set the pane's width.
        - Double clicking could open the pane to a default width for the program (e.g., percent of screen width).
        After the pane is opened, the tab would be replaced by the tiny triangle - which itself would be replaced by the tab when the pane is re-hidden.

• Marie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is driving me crazy- I open dozens of PDFs a day, all with comments, and it's such a silly waste of time to have to go through 4 steps to open the comments on each one. It wasn't an issue with prior versions of Acrobat, and is making me consider switching to Nitro PDF (which apparently doesn't have this problem).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. It's not hard to find but 95% of my Acrobat use is for reviewing comments. It's a pain opening the panel every time. It would be great to set it as my default view.

• Jenny Pittman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. As a technical writer on a team of four, part of our process is to send new content for review via PDF. We review the content one at a time so that reviewers don't make the same corrections in separate documents, so that reviewers can have discussions about possible changes, and so that the creator has only one PDF from which to glean notes. Every time I open a PDF, I have to go to Tools > Comment. It doesn't seem like much, but when I'm reviewing 20 PDFs, that little bit of time becomes highly annoying. I would love to have my default view set to automatically show the comments pane.

• Carl Alexander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For a more fully integrated solution, the Acrobat add-ins to the Office suite and printing options should support the comment pane opening option. If a Word, Excel, etc. document has native comments and is exported/printed as a pdf file with the native comments converted to pdf comments, an option to open the resultant file with the comment pane displayed should be part of the process.

• Karen Ellrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think it's just about not knowing how to open the Comments pane (there are three ways I know of - the arrow to expand the Tools pane is only one), but about convenience. I'm on the receiving end of many documents that have comments I need to step through and read, and I always need to see the Comments pane. Initial View would not help, because the documents didn't have comments when they were created - the comments were added by others later (in my case, magazine proofreaders, design reviewers, etc.). So here is an alternative idea to accomplish it: Include an option in Preferences that would show the Comments pane automatically when a document with comments is opened. Or both could be implemented.

Become an Acrobat Insider

Help shape the future of Acrobat.

Join the Adobe Document Cloud and Acrobat beta to get early access, try our “yet to be released” features and give us feedback. Let us know if you are interested by filling up this short form.

Feedback and Knowledge Base