Acrobat does not release memory, resulting in "Error out of memory"
Search in Acrobat causes unbounded increases in memory usage.
Observed result: each search allocates additional memory and that memory remains allocate until I close the file in which the search was run or close and re-start Acrobat.
Expected result: after a search is closed, the memory allocation returns to what it was before the search ran.
Expected result: each successive search does NOT result in additional memory being allocated.
Expected result: when files are closed, all memory allocated by acrobat should be released.
Expected result: Acrobat should not produce an "Out of memory" error at any time when the amount of memory used by Acrobat and the opened files starts at well below 1 GB.
I noticed that Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (V 22.001.20169) and prior versions give "out of memory" errors upon reaching about 3 to 3.5 GB of memory, even though my OS still indicates over 16 GB Free.
When I close Acrobat and re-start + open files from prior session, the memory usage is much lower. Today, it opened at 404.5 MB.
I found that each time I searched for a word, the memory usage increased.
After one search: 438 MB
After 2 searches: 457 MB
After 3 searches: 460 MB
After 4 searches: 467 MB
After 5 searches: 472 MB
Close the search pop-up: 474 MB
Close the .pdf in which I was searching: 464 MB
Close re-open the .pdf in which I was searching, close Acrobat, start acrobat and open files from last session: 431 MB.
Windows 10 HOme
OS BUILD: 19044.1826
One of the reasons I bought adobe products was a hope/belief that there would be a quality software architecture - so that these sorts of annoying problems that disrupt my work would NOT happen. I had hoped that Adobe would find and fix this, but after almost a year, the same problem continues in every version I have installed. PLEASE address this memory allocation/un-allocation issue!