Unknown characters in Read Order, fine in main text (Hindi)
There seems to be a bug with unknown characters in the Read Order tab. Issue with Hindi described here, but I've seen it on other languages (Khmer).
The read order tab has multiple unknown characters for each text block. The main text appears fine visually, but screen readers have the same issues and cannot read the same certain characters (NVDA speech viewer screenshot included).
What's the issue here? Are there any answers or workarounds?
This is from an Word export (NVDA reads all characters perfectly fine in Word), and I'm on the latest Acrobat Pro DC (though the same issue is seen in Pro X).
Sean McCurry commented
Issue still exists and it's worse. It's not specifically the Read Order area, but text as a whole. If I copy paste from the main content to anywhere else (Word, browser, etc), I see the same unknown characters.
I've tried exporting from Word and InDesign. I've tried tweaking indd export options to include all fonts all the time (advanced export settings in print style pdf). No matter what I do the issues still exist.
One thing that does work: After the PDF is created, edit (using Acrobat), and manually replace text from the source (copy paste it in). This solves the encoding / unknown character issues in the main content area of the PDF, but unknown characters can still be seen in the Read Order tab, which I hope won't affect accessibility. Note that when I do this, the font properties of the PDF are no longer ANSI, which is what I want.