PDFMaker - Styleref fields in Word have "0B" or "20B" etc appended before them in resultant PDF
I've had this issue intermittently for years: I thought it was gone but it's reappeared on a new document that has separate lineage from the last time I had it (different company).
My footer has stylerefs which take in the cover styles and the appendix heading styles, putting the document title(s) and appendix number & name in the footer. All looks fine on screen, but when I use Acrobat PDFMaker to output it, it will append "0B" or something similar to the beginning of one of the fields.
I tried exporting it using the PDF XChange plugin and this didn't happen, so I'm guessing the fault lies with the Acrobat plugin. I can't find anything in my document where this could be coming from. Attached are the footer, the code behind the footer, and what the output is.
Google searches bring up this problem as far back as 2006, so I doubt this is something that will be solved in the next update!
This is on Windows 10, by the way.
Andrew B commented
I have also noticed that while making a PDF, the "xB" prefix shows in the headings in the navigation pane. You can't see anything in the document itself, and they don't appear in the PDF either. But while making the PDF, they show up during the "Updating tags" phase as shown in the screenshot.
Andrew B commented
OK, I've been annoyed enough to do further testing. The style that was having the 0B placed before it in the output was Heading 7, but I had appended "(Appendix)" to it as it's my appendix header, so in the Style list it appears as "Heading 7, (Appendix)". I deleted the amended title so it was back to plain "Heading 7", and on output I didn't get the "0B".
So, based on this single test, I'm going to say that it might be to do with amending the name of a built-in style and using that in a styleref using just one of its titles (I had it just as "Heading 7", and I also tried it using just "(Appendix)": both worked in Word and gave me the correct text, but both had the 0B on PDF output: I did not try using the entire modified heading).