Feature request / Bug report

It would be great if Acrobat was multi=threaded. I routinely have to OCR 4000 page documents which almost always fail and take hours

Acrobat needs to be multithreaded. I have a top of the line machine with 32g of ram and an I7-6700k processor an m2 SSD, yet am unable to successfully run OCR on a 4000 page document without splitting it up into 250-500page chunks, which is cumbersome. Even then, acrobat will only use 12% of my resources.

52 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mike Gossett shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Tom Bilan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second this. I have an 8 core computer and this process is a perfect candidate for parallelization. I think all that Adobe would need to do is divide the document up into X number of smaller documents and then process them in separate streams then combine the results. X = # of cores. It doesn't seem like too hard of a computer science problem and would be a big win for anyone who's bought a computer in the last decade since everything is multi-core now.

• Michel Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I have a fast, new-ish CPU and plenty of RAM, but I can't OCR more than about 108 pages without Acrobat DC crashing. For a 1500 page document (which I routinely deal with), this means I have to run OCR manually 14 or 15 times. On Acrobat Pro XI I would start the OCR process when I was leaving for the day, and when I came back in the morning my entire document would be OCR'd.

New products are supposed to be BETTER. Not WORSE.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problems and get very frustrated with a minute load time on ducuments over 3000 mb.

• Wrathofgod220 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please also improve the Embed Index tool to use Multi-Thread and better CPU utilization. OCR and Index Embedding go hand-in-hand

Become an Acrobat Insider

Help shape the future of Acrobat.

Join the Adobe Document Cloud and Acrobat beta to get early access, try our “yet to be released” features and give us feedback. Let us know if you are interested by filling up this short form.

Feedback and Knowledge Base