Feature request / Bug report

Create Expandable Text Field Forms

Adobe Acrobat Pro needs to have the ability to create expandable text field forms that allow the text box to expand when the user types similar to what you can do with Livecycle.

This is a feature that has been requested a lot online. Currently Acrobat Pro only allows multi-line text field forms with a scroll bar, but you cannot create an expanding text field form that increases in the height of the text field to accomodate more text.

The functionality to create this even in Livecycle is too clunky and complicated to use.

49 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Max Wyss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous: It is possible in Acroforms, a bit messy, and with some restrictions. Feel free to get in touch with me in private.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,
        I am working as fleet manager in a shipping company. I tried making pdf form with expandable text field. unfortunately it does not happen as there are no options available. the only option that i see is multi line and scroll bar. But no option for expandable text field.

It is possible to build growing (unfortunately not shrinking) text fields in PDF forms. It is, however, quite clunky, and (in the opinion of the one who has developed this feature) a bit experimental.

The main reason for this is that the trigger for the overflow indicator in the text field is not accessible using Acrobat JavaScript. I have requested this several times in the past, but it has been refused with more or less weak arguments…

It is very late that I get to this thread, agreed.

But resizable "text boxes inside Comment App" ARE NOT WHAT THE OP REQUESTS!!

The OP (and many others, over all the years) request TEXT FIELDS to grow and shrink depending on their contents.

• Lori commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see the reply that expandable text field is supported ...can you provide a tutorial?? We use Acrobat to create many forms for the public, but find this option is now necessary and are researching other programs

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I only bought adobe DC to build form for my clients ... now I learn it is actually a crippled version of a form builder for Mac ... time for a refund and an new tool ... so disappointed

back to MS Word for now.

Become an Acrobat Insider

Help shape the future of Acrobat.

Join the Adobe Document Cloud and Acrobat beta to get early access, try our “yet to be released” features and give us feedback. Let us know if you are interested by filling up this short form.

Feedback and Knowledge Base