Bug: Acrobat file created by InDesign export cannot be reduced in size; hangs Acrobat
A PDF which was created via an InDesign export, cannot be reduced in size in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. It hangs Acrobat during the Reduce in Size option.
I have isolated the cause of the problem to the final letter "x" that was added at the end of the text in the Indesign CC file.. I will try to see if I can attach that file. I have attached a ZIP-compressed Adobe InDesign CC 2018 package. I have also attached the PDF file.
This problem is keeping me from reducing in size a very large file.
We are unable to reproduce the hang at our end. To resolve the issue, we would need to see where exactly Acrobat Pro DC hangs on your machine. Can you please provide the Spindump output for the same?
Steps to generate Spindump output:
1. Open Acrobat DC.
2. Open the file which causes the hang.
3. Reduce the file size using option: Make compatible with "Acrobat 10.0 and later". This should cause the application to hang.
4. Open "Activity Monitor" using Mac's Launchpad.
5. Go to the "CPU" tab and locate "Acrobat Pro DC". Select it.
6. Click System Diagnostics Option button (small gear symbol present at top-left corner of activity monitor) while Acrobat Pro DC is selected.
7. Click on "Run Spindump". A new window pops up with some output (might take a minute to generate the output).
8. Save the Spindump output to a text file using the save button present at top-right corner.
Important: In case the Spindump output is empty, use "Sample Process" in step 7 instead of "Run Spindump".
Important things to take care before taking Spindump:
1. Ensure that no other file is open in Acrobat while reproducing the hang.
2. After initiating the "Reduce file size" workflow, wait for 1 minute to ensure that the application has hanged.
File / Save as Other / Reduced size PDF. Options are: Make compatible with "Acrobat 10.0 and later".
Thanks for providing the details.
As there are multiple ways to reduce file size. So we need to know the exact workflow which you are performing or any custom settings if you are using.
I am facing this only with this file created by InDesign. However, we use the file on a weekly recurring basis and need to post a reduced size PDF to the web on a weekly recurring basis. That is why it is important for me to be able to resolve this issue.
We tried in the same environment with attached pdf file but not able to reproduce this issue.
Are you facing this issue with all pdf files or only with those files which are created by InDesign and also is it specific to this PDF or all pdfs created by InDesign.
This is not an intermittent problem. It continues to occur.
Acrobat Pro DC v2018.009.20050
macOS Sierra v10.12.6
We tried at our end but not able to reproduce this issue with the provided file. Some more details are required. Please let us know if this is intermittent or not and if you are still facing the same issue then provide Acrobat DC version which you are using and OS details.
AdminGirija Agarwala (Admin, Adobe) commented
Mailed Akhil to look into this