[Bug Report] Clicking an option from a dropdown form field results in the wrong one being selected
For a long time now I have noticed a peculiar bug that only sometimes rears its head. By now I'm pretty sure it is a bug and not something I'm doing wrong, as I've had this same issue appear in multiple AcroForms that I have made, all with different content.
What happens is illustrated well with the screen recording I made, see the attached file.
How to reproduce:
• This is with an AcroForm drop-down field that has about 200 entries.
• This drop-down field has the options "Allow user to enter custom text" and "Commit selected value immediately" selected. This last one seems to be the culprit.
• The steps in the screen recording are basically this:
1. Open the drop-down so that the options are visible.
2. Type the first part of an option into the field, thereby filtering the results.
3. Click on one of the filtered results to select it.
4. Be amazed as another option is selected instead, one that wasn't even in the list of filtered results.
• Note that this doesn't happen when the arrow keys are used to navigate to the result. I'm guessing that is because then it isn't "committed immediately".
I am using Windows 10 Pro, version 1803, build 17134.648
and Adobe Acrobat Pro DC version 2019.010.20098
I have also started a forum thread about this: https://forums.adobe.com/message/11013225
With the latest release of Acrobat on 13th Aug, 2019, this issue has been addressed.
If your product is not already updated, you can manually do so from within the product. Click on the menu Help-> Check for updates.