Feature request / Bug report

Reopen PDFs Launched in previous sessions on Opening Acrobat/Reader

A Prereference in Acrobat should be there which loads the last session of opened tabs/pdfs on relaunching. Also could provide options to save/load previous sessions.
This may be Important to the users who work on several pdfs at a time but wish to retain the opened docs in the next Acrobat session.
Also Session could be managed to retain even after machine restart and then launching acrobat.

123 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminAyush Jain (Admin, Adobe) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

37 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MJ Halligan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

seems like this feature was standard versions ago and would be simple to turn on considering the interest. Adobe, we acknowledge PDFs have changed the world forerver and for the good of your customers, please provide this functionality.
        Thank you.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've already given up on Acrobat, and purchased Nitro Pro instead. This "bug" is so annoying, and so frequent, that I just can't use Acrobat anymore.

I would like to see this work just like the browser does. The product reopens previous tabs.

When can this be done ?
        Windows update crashed my session forcing an unexpected hard restart so that the files that were high priority and open are now closed and to be hunted for...

"Reopen tabs on startup" - was an option on the older stand-alone program and is still a must. I have several tabs for various projects open at once and it is inconvenient to save and click when I may need to shut down for a reboot or from the blue screen of death. The "recent" option only works if you click on save. If you open the document from Chrome for example and don't click on save, it won't appear in "recent"...per Adobe Tech Support.

It's been over a year since this problem was first posted and nobody from Adobe seems to give a **** to even say they are looking into this basic feature which should be standard. Very poor customer service!

This is a standard feature in most other tools and like several people below have said, you have to reboot your computer and losing the PDFs is a major pain. I did find a website which offered some javascript to do this and it worked, but I would much prefer if it was a built-in feature.

• Chojrak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> So is anyone from Adobe even looking into this problem??????

No, it's beyond their capabilities. More and more basic apps can do that, but not Acrobat nor Acrobat Reader.

• Another Acrobat User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for this please.
        I maintain systems for users at work who have to have dozens of documents open simultaneously for concurrent projects, and restarting their machines (for periodic maintenance reasons) is a source of pain.

Ayush, what is the status on this feature? It's clear that many people want it included but there has been no response from you or anyone at Adobe in a YEAR!

• Nestor Albuquerque commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of the many occurrences of the same question (that I also need answred).
        And it seems the Admin that posted the tip didn't realize that Shift-Control-T opens the "Insert page" dialog.

• Michael P. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Operating systems must be rebooted with relative frequency. In the process, when Acrobat is restarted the set of open documents is lost.

The simplest solution is for Acrobat to:
        (1) Offer a setting (for example, like Chrome) whether documents are reloaded on restart of Acrobat.
        (2) On restart of Acrobat, prompt the user to reopen documents from the previous session.
        (3) Securely maintain a persistent list of opened documents, for use only by the restart feature.
        (4) Reopen documents in the same sequence as at last shutdown of Acrobat.
        (5) Display an error message for each document that cannot be reopened (file no longer accessible after restart).

• Judith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree with this suggestion! I do legal work and sometimes have two dozen or so documents open at a time. If Windows updates, then I must figure out which documents were open and then open them again. I would really like a "restore previous session" option in Acrobat!

• etsuko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having this as a feature in Acrobat will make my life a bit easier. Please add it asap!

← Previous 1
      Become an Acrobat Insider

Help shape the future of Acrobat.

Join the Adobe Document Cloud and Acrobat beta to get early access, try our “yet to be released” features and give us feedback. Let us know if you are interested by filling up this short form.

Feedback and Knowledge Base