Feature request / Bug report

Remove tools sidebar selector, or make it an option, or an option to move it to the top or the bottom

The tool sidebar is too close to the scroll bar, and make it difficult to use and select the scroll bar, which is almost always used. Make the position and/or the visibility of the tools sidebar a preference, since this redundant control is available using many other existing ways. This is the must frustrating, duplicative, and unusually located user control I have seen in many years.

68 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree with removing the side toolbar.... but I agree if there are scroll bar issues.

My main issue.... with the new Wide Screen Display Monitors.... there is more room on the sides of the monitor for this toolbar.... and Less room at the top and bottom of the Monitor.

I just upgraded from Pro XI to Pro DC 2017.... The toolbar is on the right... but the functions for the toolbar are in a ribbon across the top. You have to click in two different places to use the function.
        Whereas.... in the old Pro XI.... the toolbar on the right side had Dropdown arrows to get to the Functions of the toolbars.

With this ribbon across the top... it takes up room at the top and bottom and reduces the document window viewing size.

• Ben Gaskin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, thank you for complaining about this!. This is a huge usability issue. If the scrollbar is the right-most UI element it's easy to use. I can get my mouse to the right edge of the screen without looking, without thinking.

If the scrollbar isn't the right-most UI element, it's exponentially harder to use.

I'm a power user, I want to use the app fast. I want to concentrate on the document I have open, not on the menus.

• Michel Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! The Tools pane takes up too much real estate. Please allow a default option that does without it. A toggle key, similar to the F9 that toggles the file menu, would be most useful.

Acrobat Pro DC - Please tell us how to make Read mode (Ctrl-H) the default view for opening files so we can avoid the RHP opening until needed.

I was also frustrated by the loss of real estate from the tools/comment pane. There is a simple work around that I used. For any tools that you use regularly you can add them to the "Customize Quick Tools" which is the gear icon at the top. Then they appear at the top ribbon. Once you have all the tools you need there, you can close the comment/tools panes on the right side and that just leaves the scroll bar and you have all your real estate back. Hope it helps some others.

• Poch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I eventually learned that Read mode (Ctrl-H) hides that toolbar on the right-hand-side. I'm looking to see if I can make read mode the default view for opening files; no luck yet.

This is a most annoying position for a collapsible toolbar especially when using with 2 or more monitors.

• Poch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Scrolling by clicking on the scroll bar is usually effortless because the scroll bar is flush right when an application is maximized. I only need to move the mouse to the right until it stops against the side of the screen; I don't need to land on a target. I think this is similar to the Mac menu on top (I'm using Windows), where the principle is since the Mac menu is flush against the top of the screen the user only needs to move the mouse cursor up until it stops moving rather than maneuver the mouse cursor to land on a small target.

The tools expansion arrow button unfortunately is placed flush right where the scroll bar usually will be and I cannot just move the mouse cursor up against that side of the screen to be able to scroll.

Please place the scrollbar flush right to the edge of the screen like in other apps and the older versions of Adobe Acrobat.

wtf happened to Acrobat pro in 2017. I have to use search to find tools. Old interface WAY better.

• kevmasterflex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. Annoying to place tools selection bar next to scrollbar. It is pretty tough to hit the right one on a touch screen...

• Arne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you open a PDF file, the standard screen has the 'tools pane' on the right of the main file-window.
        It would be great if the user interface could be more flexible, that a user could move the 'tools-pane' to the bottom or top of the main file window?
        For example: you could place the remarks in a PDF-file, added by a customer, above or below the page instead of on the right.

try67, that option, to disable-right-hand-pane-in-acrobat-reader, is not available on my Acrobat 2017 Professional version. The problem, however, is the placement of the collapsed tools selection bar immediately next to the scroll bar, instead of across the top, or a hidden preference, that most other bars, including toolbars, have as a feature. The position of the tools selection bar is too prone to a user accidentally selecting it while trying to scroll. It is clearly visible as TOOLS in the header "ribbon" selection bar at the top of the screen. I really do not need the duplicative tools selection toolbar on the right odf the screen. Duplicative, irritating, and not useful.

I am using 2017 Release (Classic) Version 2017.011.3066. I know how and can collapse the tools pane, but the tools pane selector bar is adjacent to the scroll bar. When a use tries to scroll in a document, the tools pane opens too often because the tools pane selector bar is adjacent to the scroll bar, in a position completely unique to all Windows-based applications. It is too easy to accidentally select the tool pane selector bar instead of the scroll bar.

• AdminAyush Jain (Admin, Adobe) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi nfallon@velocitylaw.com,

Thanks for Using Adobe Acrobat.

Can you please Share the Acrobat Version that you are working on ? You can check the version as Acrobat -> Help -> About Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.
        Before that, I would suggest you to kindly check and update your Acrobat as Help -> Check for Updates so that you have the Latest Available update of Acrobat.

After that, Please Try the below workflow and that Tools Pane in RHP will not appear for you as expanded for all the Further PDF launches.
        1) Launch any PDF in acrobat
        2) Collapse the Tools Pane that appear in the RHP (using the vertical Toggle Strip).
        3) Close the Acrobat and Relaunch it
        4) Open any pdf => Now the Tools Pane should not appear for you in the RHP by default.

Please let me know for any further concerns in this.

Thanks,
        Ayush Jain

How do we get rid of the overbearing tools side bar. It takes up 1/3 of the real estate of the PDF document, and I don't want to look at the tool side bar. Make it optional and make the window closeable

← Previous 1
      Become an Acrobat Insider

Help shape the future of Acrobat.

Join the Adobe Document Cloud and Acrobat beta to get early access, try our “yet to be released” features and give us feedback. Let us know if you are interested by filling up this short form.

Feedback and Knowledge Base